Monday, July 6, 2009

Weekly Update - Front and Back Yard Installations


Greetings. This is my weekly front and back yard installations update. Until July 4th, eastern Massachusetts had rain or overcast skies just about every day in June, and the first three days in July. There was sun on July 4th and the 5th.

In my back yard is Fence Installation Series #1/16. There's a lot of lush greenery, and my fall clematis continues to express interest in growing around it, and it looks like it might start weaving in and out of the holes this week, weather permitting.


This is a front detail of the clematis, and the piece itself after being rained on over and over again.


Here is a back detail.


In my front yard is Fence Installation Series #1/22, as shown above. It's also doing well.


The rust didn't get much worse from this past week's rain, as seen above ....


... and below. The specks I noticed last week are splattered mud, not mold, thank goodness. There's a little pacasandra growing underneath, but there's also a lot of plain dirt. Hence the splashing. No big deal in my opinion. Just art and nature living together.

Both of these pieces have been living outside for over a month. On May 24th the back yard piece made its outdoor debut, and May 28th was the date for the one in the front yard. It rained here just about every day from June 4th through July 3rd in eastern Massachusetts, and on some of the days it didn't rain, it was quite overcast. Not quite 40 days and 40 nights, but close.

I found this graphic: "A dark, wet month for the history books: June 2009" which showed 9 days without any rain, and 27% of possible sunshine.

The Boston Globe even posted instructions on How to build an ark. The humor if it actually cheered people up a little, because the weather was really getting people down. Thank goodness the sun returned on July 4th. My art got to dry off, and everyone I know started to smile again.

I'll post another update in a week.