Thursday, July 23, 2009

Copyright Infringement?


Anyone who has ever seen my Pez collection knows this story is of interest to me:

"Pez Candy Inc sues Museum of Pez Memorabilia for copyright infringement," by Xeni Jardin, July 6, 2009 on boingboing.net.

The very first email list I was on, back in the mid 1990's, was a Pez list, and I always enjoyed reading about the Burlingame Museum of Pez Memorabilia.

In the article "Pez Suing Burlingame Museum of Pez Memorabilia," by Doctor Popular on July 1st on laughingsquid.com, I learned that "The suit, filed last week, claims that the museum deceives the public into believing they are operating under the authority of Pez and asks that the museum’s 7 foot tall replica of Pez dispenser be destroyed. The lawsuit also takes issue with the museum’s sales of toy truck Pez dispensers which had been modified with Obama and McCain logos during last years elections."

I really enjoyed reading this article "Help the Burlingame Pez Museum battle against the man" by fellow Examiner Bryan Bennett on July 6th on examiner.com. Very well thought out, and he obviously understands Pez collecters!

Even NPR reported this story. Listen to: "Pez Maker Is Sour On Museum's Memorabilia," by David Gorn on July 21, 2009.

As an artist, I think this case is worth paying attention to, even if it's about a candy item. My question is, is it copyright infringement or parody? It'll be interesting to find out what happens in this case.