Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Weekly Update - Front and Back Yard Installations


This is an update on my front and back yard installations. All of the four pictures in this post were taken on Sunday afternoon in drizzling rain, and both installations were soaking wet. It's pretty lush here in eastern Massachusetts due to the fact that it's rained almost every day in the past month. Both pieces have gotten soaked, and then dried, many dozens of times, sometimes within the same day. There have also been some days when these pieces have stayed wet for days.


In my back yard is Fence Installation Series #1/16. A full view is at the top of this post, and a detail is directly above this paragraph. When I took these pictures, the clematis that's growing on the wooden structure to the right of this piece had grown a few feet since last week, and was leaning on this piece, but had not grabbed on. When looking out the window on Monday afternoon, I noticed the clematis wasn't leaning on it, so who knows what its plans are. Time will tell.


In my front yard is Fence Installation Series #1/22, as shown above. It's holding up very well under the maple tree. The detail below shows how it's a little rippled but not more than last week. This piece isn't stretched tightly on a frame like the piece in my backyard, so I'm not surprised, nor bothered, by it since it's minimal.


This week I expect both pieces to be wet from late this past Saturday night through Wednesday night, if the weather ends up as forecasted. We expect clearer skies on Thursday. Then warmer humid summer weather should arrive. We shall see what happens with more sunshine, and when we get humid weather for many days on end, rain or not. I'm hoping that having fabric living outside is uneventful because I'd like to apply for some outdoor installation shows and grants. Having a year of visual documentation for these pieces will be good for knowing what to expect for the New England climate at the very least.

I'll post another update next week.