Saturday, March 14, 2009

Bas Relief


After gluing two 12 x 12 x 12 Series to stretched canvases, I noticed the back sides of the canvas after they were dry. The glue shrinks the cotton on the back side of the stitched piece, which shrinks the canvas as it dries. (If you can't see the detail I'm talking about, please click on the pictures to see them larger. That should help.)

This is 12 x 12 x 12 July 2007. The back is above and front below.


And here is another one.....


This is 12 x 12 x 12 August 2007. The back is above and front below.


The reason I stitch my painted/printed fabric is because I like the bas relief created by stitching (and how the stitched line enhances the design, but that's a discussion for another day). I also like my unexpected discovery of the bas relief on the back of the stretched canvases. I need to think of ways to take advantage of it, and possibly use it in my work.