Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Art Career


When I was in Art School in the late 1970's, there was no mention (in the Crafts Department at least) about how to have an art career after graduation. The only thing close to that was all students in Crafts had an assignment, in their senior year, to design and produce an item that could be made in mass production. One wood worker friend made spatulas, jewelry friends made earrings. I honestly don't remember what I made in the fibers department. Wish I did.

There was no mention of how to write a resume, make a business card, organize your portfolio, how to enter a show, and of course there were no computers back then so no discussion about websites, facebook or twitter.

I'm bringing this up because I read Joanne Mattera's Art Blog, where she discusses Careerism. Great post (as usual)! I want to share it with you, if you don't already read her blog. Very interesting read.

Times have really changed. My work now is mainly printmaking and painting now, with some stitching. I've learned, and continue to learn, how to navigate the Fiber world, as well as the Mixed-Media, Printmaking and Painting worlds, by reading, taking workshops, and networking with other artists.