Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Arts in the Stimulus Package!


Interested in how the Arts survived in the Federal Stimulus Package? Read this:

"Saving Federal Arts Funds: Selling Culture as an Economic Force," by Robin Pogrebin on February 15, 2009 in the New York Times.

Also, it probably didn't hurt that over 35,000 people (so I've heard) got in touch with their legislators in support of the bill. Great networking!

The argument from the opposition was that Arts funding wouldn't contribute to "real" jobs, but that was ridicilous. I am a small incorporated business in the state of Massachusetts, and though I doubt I'll personally receive any funding from the bill, here is a list of some of who I do business with as an artist:

My photographer, printer, accountant, insurance companies (plural, not singular), Apple Inc, various software companies, Staples, the US Postal Service, FedEx, UPS, the state of Massachusetts (taxes, corporate fees, tolls and etc), the US federal government including the US Copyright Office, bank, credit card companies and PayPal (who charge fees), my internet hosting company, phone company, natural gas and electric companies, my auto mechanic (bless his heart!), gas stations, galleries who benefit from my entry fees +/or any sales I may have, magazine and newspaper subscriptions, and etc. That's just from the top of my head. If I went through my books, I'd have a longer list.

Thank you to the House/Senate for compromising, and doing the right thing for the Arts.