Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Inauguration Day!


How glorious that Inauguration Day is today, and we can finally say "President Obama."

Besides taking some time away from work today, to watch history in the making, I'm very interested in two art related things. One is I'm looking forward to hearing Elizabeth Alexander, who is today's inauguration poet. She will read a new poem, that from what I've heard, no one has heard or will hear, including President Obama, until the big moment.

Even though that President Obama is our forty-fourth president of the United States, there have only been three other inauguration poets before today. They are Robert Frost for John F. Kennedy, and Maya Angelou for the first, and Miller Williams for the second, of Bill Clinton's inaugurations.

The other thing I'm looking forward to, is seeing what Michelle Obama wears for all of the events. I love fashion, and I am very excited about our new First Lady's taste in clothing. When I was a little girl, my mother told me that Jackie Kennedy had good, timeless taste in clothing, and that I should try to consider that in my clothing choices. Looking back on Jackie, I think she was actually quite fashionable at the time, and it wasn't timeless, but she did have very good taste. Michelle Obama has great taste, and it feels like her choices are timeless, or at least at the moment it feels that way.

Phewy on Ann Coulter (someone that I think very un-highly of), who had some very not nice things to say about Michelle Obama's way of dress during the campaign. I love how she dresses and I'm going to enjoy four, and hopefully eight, years of watching Michelle Obama's clothing choices. Hooray for smart and authentic women who like nice, practical, affordable clothes, and hooray also for pearls (real or fake).

For everyone reading this, have a wonderful day today!