Saturday, December 27, 2008

2008 Weekly Mixed Media/Felt Review


From 1999-2005 I created one small quilt a week. About a year ago, I bought a needle punch/needle felting machine. Not knowing what to do with it, I wanted to find a way to use it and learn more about needle felting. Because of my past experiences creating art on a weekly basis, I decided to create one 6" x 6" piece of mixed media felt each week in 2008.

The images posted here a summary of all 52 pieces I created. You can see my 2008 weekly mixed media work on my website, and read about it here on my blog.


Looking at these 52 pieces, there are some that I think are very beautiful, and that I love. There are some that are OK, and then there are some that I think are not at all successful art-wise, but may have been in terms of learning what to do or not to do, technique-wise.

Now, the question for me is, what am I going to do with a pile of 52 6" x 6" pieces of felt? I am thinking about that, and will post some thoughts about that soon.


Besides reading about my year of felting here on my blog, if you want to know more, you can read an article I wrote that's in Quilting Arts Magazine's December/January 2009 issue. It's about my 2008 my experiences with felting from art school through the present day. The title of the article is "Journal Felting with Punch", and can be found on page 76.


This is the last year I plan on working on a weekly project. It's very time consuming, and while the growth and finished products are very exciting, I think it's time to move on to other things. If you hear me say I'm going to do a weekly project again, please remind me to read my own blog so I can remind, and stop, myself before I dive in.

Also, if you have a minute, please visit Natalya Aikens's blog, where you can see her 2008 and 2007 fabric Journals. If you scroll down a little, on the right side you can see slide shows of her work. They are all 4" x 4", and are very beautiful!