Wednesday, August 6, 2008

2008 Weekly Mixed Media Project


The front side of my 32nd Weekly Mixed Media piece is above, and below is the back.


I wanted to use my new shredding scissors again for this week's creation.


I cut two 10" x 10" pieces of navy blue pre-felted wool fleece, and put one on top of the other. Then I cut one 5" x 7" piece of red pre-felt.


Using my shredding scissors, I cut a few inches in to both of the long ends of the red, to shred them. The fleece didn't always cooperate, because sometimes the shredded cuts fell off, but I decided that that would be a part of the design.


Then I cut an orange pre-felted wool fleece about 2" x 7".


I cut into it with my shredding scissors, which was a little more successful because I was cutting shorter cuts, and the orange fleece was a little thicker. After making the cuts, I placed it on the red fleece, in the center.


I needle punched it top down, to start, which locked everything in to place.


I flipped it over and felted it from the bottom up, then flipped it to felt top down, and repeated it many many times, until it was solidly felted. The top side looked like the picture above, and the bottom looked like the picture below.


Using my sewing machine, and a slightly lighter navy top thread, and a white bobbin thread, I stitched some lines on one side, in the blue section, to add some texture.

Using a 6" square template, I chose the section of my design to crop, traced it with a pencil, and trimmed it to size. I decided to have the design be off center, because if it was centered, I felt it would have looked like a giant spider or lobster, and I didn't want that.

You can see my 2008 weekly mixed media work (so far) on my website, and read about my process/progress here on my blog.