Thursday, July 3, 2008

2008 Weekly Mixed Media Project


Above is the front side of my 27th Weekly Mixed Media piece this year. Below is the back side.


I really like, and respect the art of all of my friends, but one artist who works with grids, is especially of interest to me. I decided that this week, I'd make a Jeanne mixed media piece emulating the work of Catherine Carter's "Mosaic Series". (Her newest work can be seen on her blog ) It was not easy to do, since I didn't measure anything, which I am certain that Catherine does. Here are the steps I took:


I started by cutting 25 pieces of felt, from past weeks, into pieces approximately 1.5" square.I must say that I never used a ruler, so each piece was a different size and none were square.


Because I didn't cut square pieces, I needed "filler", so I cut 8 pieces of purchased wool felt fabric by eye, approximately 3/8" wide and 10" long. I sewed the "squares" to the strip, one by one, per row, as per the pictures below. As the whole thing started to curve, I grew concerned about what the finished result was going to be, but I continued on after deciding I could correct it one way or another if needed.










I rotated the whole piece and then I sewed the last four strips along the open edges, to close the gaps between the squares. The final result, front and back, looked like this:



I stitched over all of the edges with a zig-zag stitch, to reinforce everything. After the sewing was complete, I measured and cut it down to 6" square.

You can see my 2008 weekly mixed media work (so far) on my website, and read about my process/progress here on my blog.