Wednesday, June 18, 2008

2008 Weekly Mixed Media Project


This is my 25th Weekly Mixed Media piece this year. Another busy week, so another collage made of scrap pieces of felt from past weeks.


I grabbed a handful of scrap pieces of felt, that I saved from past weeks, and decided to use four pieces that had coordinating color. I placed them close to each other, so that it measured at least 7" square.

Using my sewing machine only, I attached the pieces together, using a zigzag stitch and orange sewing thread (and white bobbin thread). I did not use my needle punch machine at all this week. I have learned from other collage weeks that when I use felt from previous weeks, it's too thick to needle punch, and I tend to break many needles.


This is a close-up after sewing the orange zigzag stitch.


Before I cropped it to size, the back side looked like this. Using a template, I decided on a nice, visually balanced layout for my 6" square, and I trimmed it to size.


After cropping to 6", the back looked like this.

This piece took less than 15 minutes to create, which was good since this is another very busy June week. And, because I didn't use my needle punch machine, I didn't break any needles. :)

I created this week's piece during half-time of the Boston Celtics/LA Lakers National Basketball Association (NBA) Finals game on Tuesday night, and I prepped the pictures, and wrote the text quickly during the third quarter.

Then, I abandoned the tiny TV in my small studio, and watched the rest of the game on the bigger TV in my livingroom, where I watched the Celtics win the NBA Championship for the first time in 22 years.

You can see my 2008 weekly mixed media work (so far) on my website, and read about my process/progress here on my blog.