Friday, April 4, 2008

My Kid Could Paint That


You can read the controversy about the movie "My Kid Could Paint That," on Wikipedia.

As a mother, I am not going to comment on the fact that there are people who have questioned whether 4 year old Marla Olmstead created the paintings on her own or not, because it broke my heart to watch her mother's reaction to everything that happened with the media. I have read unpleasant things about myself and my family online, and I would never participate in discussions like that about another family.

I do think every artist should watch "My Kid Could Paint That," because a large part of the movie is about art, marketing and money, and it is thought provoking in terms of what Marla's success/challenges means to her family, her galleries and Marla's collectors.

I almost never watch the extras on a DVD, except after watching documentaries. Do watch the comments by New York Times Art Critic, Michael Kimmelman.

The movie's reviews on RottenTomatoes.com are very interesting.

One side note, I couldn't help but notice that the family's dining room walls were painted with a yellow and orange smooshy technique (sorry but I'm not up on the technical names of decorative wall painting techniques), and I couldn't help but draw a comparison to the family's love of Marla's paintings and the skill someone had to paint their dining room walls. Probably no one else would notice something like this, besides me.