Thursday, March 20, 2008

2008 Weekly Mixed Media Project


This is my twelfth Weekly Mixed Media piece this year. The front is above, and the back is below.



Here are the steps I took to create it:


I found some netting (which I think a neighbor gave me from her Christmas tree) in a bag when I was taught an The Uncommon Quilting workshop at the Danforth Museum in Framingham Mass last Saturday. Someone in the class made a crayon rubbing of this netting and I really liked the way it turned out so I decided to use it as my inspiration for this week's mixed media piece.


First, I made a crayon rubbing of the netting, and then quilted it with batting and a backing. I wasn't sure how to stitch it, so I just stitched straight lines, horizontally and vertically, about 3/8" apart.


Then I placed many pieces of different kinds of white yarn I have on a piece of black wool felt/material, and I needle punched it (felted it) in to the black wool.


After that, I placed a piece of black pre-felted wool fleece on top of the yarn/wool, and I needle punched/felted the wool to it.


I spent a far amount of time needle punching it, so the white yarn pieces started to show through the black fleece.


I trimmed one side of the felt, attached it to the quilted fabric, and trimmed it down to 6" square. The final step was that I zigzagged the edges of the quilted fabric so it wouldn't unravel.

You can see my 2008 weekly mixed media work (so far) on my website, and read about my process/progress here on my blog.