Monday, December 24, 2007

Construction Fence Printed Fabric


These are images, printed with permission, of an orange construction fence printed on fabric with potato dextrin. It was created by Laurel Cull, from Bellaire, TX, who I met when I was in Houston, Texas. She brought this wonderful piece of fabric to show me, when I was selling the The Uncommon Quilter at the International Quilt Festival in late October/early November.

Everyone who knows me and my art work, knows that I LOVE to print off of orange construction fences. I was very excited to meet Laurel, and to see her fabric. I have no idea what potato dextrin is, or how you use it, but she made a wonderful batik-like image of a construction fence. It's very exciting to see how she printed with it in a totally different way than I do, and how appealing it is.


I asked Laurel to explain how she created it. She said "It's dyed multiple times using Procion with corn and potato dextrin resists. The corn dextrin creates a solid resist whereas the potato dextrin crackles on drying allowing for the spider web affect. The fabric is 40" X 60" Pimatex cotton."

It was a gift for me to see her work, and it's my pleasure to share it with you.