Monday, October 15, 2007

Making small quilts by reusing plastic produce netting bags

It's Blog Action Day, and the theme is the environment.

Netting from produce bags is one of my favorite materials to work with. It is commonly found in the kitchen, holding onions, potatoes, oranges and grapefruit, and garlic. My absolute favorite is the red netting that covers boxes of clementines. It's like a plastic fabric, with holes in it.


The picture above is of four small quilts made with recycled plastic netting. My book, The Uncommon Quilter, has illustrated instructions about how to create them. Most of the materials used in my book can be found around your home or neighborhood, including items you would usually throw away. Before you put something in the trash, ask yourself if it can be used in your art work, and if it can be, hold on to it.

Below is a selection of some different colors and types of netting I've collected. I challenge you to start collecting different household items and see what creative ideas you can come up with about how to use them in your art work.


Since today's blog entry is focused on the environment, I'd like to say congratulations to former Vice President Al Gore for winning the 2007 Nobel Peace Prize for his work on educating us about man-made climate change!