Tuesday, September 11, 2007

The Uncommon Quilter and dryer lint


In one month, my book The Uncommon Quilter will be released. Inside the book are two projects that include using dryer lint as a design element in small quilts. To celebrate dryer lint, and the countdown to my October 9th publication date, I'm going to post some examples I've removed from my dryer's lint trap, over the next few weeks.

The first sample is the first piece of lint that caught my eye in 1986. My son, who is now 21 years old, was in need of fall overalls when he was 10 months old. Clothing choices for baby boys was not good back then, so I decided to sew a number of multi-colored corduroy overalls for him. This dryer lint is the result of pre-shrinking the half dozen or so pieces of corduroy. I loved the little specks of corduroy in the lint, and saved it along with other baby memorabilia.

On August 20th, I made a blog entry about one of the dryer lint quilts in my book, and the inspiration behind it. Click here to read the entry.