Wednesday, September 26, 2007

An Open Letter to Stephen Colbert


Dear Mr. Colbert,
 
It had recently been brought to my attention that the publication date for your new book, "I Am America (And So Can You!)" is October 9, 2007. Coincidentally, that is also the release date of my first book, "The Uncommon Quilter: Small Art Quilts Created with Paper, Plastic, Fiber, and Surface Design."
 
I realize that changing the release date of your book is not possible at this late date, and in light of the grave injustice already inflicted on you by the Emmy Award judges, I would not ask you to do so.  How much trauma should one man be expected to take?
 
I am writing to apologize for the unintended consequences to your book sales - just as I also apologize to Ken Follett and Eric Clapton, who also have the misfortune to have books scheduled for release on October 9.
 
It also occurred to me that the similarities between our books are almost eerie.  For example, we both had the idea to divide the different sections in our books into chapters, and that we both use illustrations to make our points.  Is this mere coincidence?
 
If it is any consolation, it will be my honor to send you a signed copy of The Uncommon Quilter.  I would be delighted to hear from you, and again I offer my deepest apologies for the consequences of this unfortunate timing.
 
If you need to reach me, my email address is jeanne@jeannewilliamson.com.
 
Sincerely yours,
 
Jeanne Williamson
TheUncommonQuilter.com