Tuesday, September 6, 2011

What I Did On My Summer Vacation

I posted a list of my summer goals, with what I was hoping to get done between then and Labor Day, on June 21st.

Over the summer I knew I was busy, but I kept thinking that I wasn't getting anything accomplished, and I wasn't feeling good about it.

But as I was writing this post, I looked over my original goals, and my blog posts and calendar, I realized that I was a lot more productive than I thought. Really productive! Thank goodness.

Here's what I did art-wise this summer. I'm not including non-art stuff...

Art Created:

- Seasonal Fences - Summer #1 - #5, on 22" x 10" x 1" boards (to be photographed shortly)

- 12 x 12 x 12 July 2011 and 12 x 12 x 12 August 2011

- Altered Book - The Fence As Lace #14, which will be on exhibit at A Novel Idea at the Hampden Gallery Incubator Project Space, at the University of Massachusetts in Amherst, MA from December 11, 2011 - February 20, 2012.

- Art Book - The Fence As Lace #13

- The Fence As Lace #12, which used leftover monotprinted fabric from my artist residency at the Vermont Studio Center this past May.

- Created the Squiggles and Squares postcard, for a group show of mixed media works inspired by abstract lines and grids I'm going to be in at ArtWorks! in New Bedford, MA from September 17 to November 7, 2011. (I'll post more about it in a few days.)

- Consulted in the postcard creation for the two-person show The Constructed Surface, which I'm going to be at the Krause Gallery, at the Moses Brown School in Providence, RI, from October 11 - 28, 2011. (I'll post more about it shortly too.)

Exhibits:

- ArtWalk in Natick, MA.

- Storefront window in Natick, MA.

- The Community of Artists Annual Juried Exhibition 2011 at the Danforth Museum in Framingham, MA

- deCordova Museum Corporate Art Loan Program - lent all 12 of the Traces of Fences Past Series

Writing:

- Book - I'm writing a new book that will be published by Running Press and will be available in the Spring of 2013.

- Numerous arts articles for the Natick Patch.

Misc art stuff:

- Submitted a RFP for outdoor art installation. (Received approval. Will work out size and artwork deadline in a few days.)

- Applied for 3 grants. (Will hear in December and February.)

- Applied to two residencies. (Will hear in February and an unspecified date.)

- Applied to a number of shows. (Will hear in the next few weeks/months, depending on which.)

- Applied to a few art competitions. (Will hear sometime in September and October.)

Misc and vaguely art related:

- Read Steve Martin's book, An Object of Beauty.

- Week of vacation - saw as much art as possible.


Now "summer" is over. September is going to be a really really busy month, art-wise and other. All good stuff.