Wednesday, December 30, 2009

2009 Orange Construction Fence Series Review

In 2009, I continued working on my "Orange Construction Fence Series" and created 9 large pieces:


Orange Construction Fence Series #63, #64, #65, and #66. I really like #63 a lot, but 64, 65 and 66 not as much, mainly because they're not "Jeanne colors," though I do feel much better about 64 and 66 than I do about 65. The inspiration for these pieces was the Cloverleaf apartment building construction project in Natick MA. The colors are based on the actual colors of the building in progress.


Orange Construction Fence Series #67, and #68 I am very proud of. A building in Singapore was the inspiration for these two pieces. It's the top one (of the two) shown here.


Orange Construction Fence Series #69 and #70 I also like, though I do prefer #70 a bit more because of the range of light and dark colors. A second building in Singapore was the inspiration for these two. It's the bottom one (of the two) shown here. Note that the building in the picture is white and lime green, but there was no way I was going to use lime green, so I went with turquoise instead.


Orange Construction Fence Series #32/71, was made after cutting the original Orange Construction Fence Series #32 up. This is a piece I am very proud of, and I want to continue making more cut pieces from older, and new, work. You can read about the history of this piece here.

Though I don't love every piece I created this year, I feel I've had good growth. Also, by continuing my practice of painting on both the front and the back sides of the fabric, I've learned more about how the color changes on both sides, depending on which side is the painted side. After all of my work is painted, I then stitch it, to add texture and more line.