Thursday, December 31, 2009

Outdoor Installations 2009 Review

After hearing suggestions to consider creating installations while I was at a Portfolio Review this past May, I decided to give it a try outdoors.


Fence Installation Series #1/16 is living in my back yard, and above are pictures of it in June after installation, and a week ago right after we got 14" of snow.


Fence Installation Series #1/22 is living in my front yard, and above are pictures of it in June after installation, and a week ago right after the same snowstorm.

I admit it sounds scary to take artwork created out of textiles and placing them out of doors, and it is, sort of. These two experimental pieces were created by using much older pieces that I really didn't care for before I cut holes in them or cut them in half, so it wasn't as scary as you'd think.

I am learning a lot as these pieces have been rained and snowed on, and I will use this research as I create new pieces.

You can see more pictures of these pieces on my website's Outdoor Installations page, and also read (just about) weekly updates here on my blog.