Friday, January 1, 2010

2009 Reflections & What's Coming Up in 2010 (so far)


Looking back at my 2009 art experiences, I think it was a good year. Here are the most memorable and exciting for me:

I exhibited in six groups shows, including "icons + altars," at the New Art Center in Newton, MA, and the "Community of Artists Juried Exhibition," at the Danforth Museum of Art in Framingham, MA. It was an honor to be in both of those shows, as well as the other four.

I had a solo exhibit, "Off the Fence," at the Hunt Cavanagh Gallery, at Providence College, in Providence, RI, which I am extremely proud of. To be able to see 20+ pieces of my work all hanging together in one place was really satisfying, as was sharing it with the others! This show was also reviewed by Greg Cook in the Providence Phoenix, which I am very glad about.

I am also very proud that I am being represented by the Snyderman-Works Gallery in Philadelphia, PA. Accomplishing this has been one of my top career goals for many many many years.


Also in 2009, I curated my first show, "Mixed Media Fiber Art," which was exhibited at the Danforth Museum of Art, in Framingham, MA at the same time as "Faith Ringgold : Story Quilts" and "Sedrick Huckaby : A Love Supreme." The Museum was full of textile and textile-related art, which was very exciting. I LOVED curating, and I really hope to be able to do it again in the very near future!

In late 2009, through February 10, 2010, my work is hanging in a two-person show, "Uncommon Application," with Brian Hart, at the Owen Smith Shuman Art Gallery, at the Groton Public Library, in Groton, MA. I very much like and respect Brian's work, and it is a pleasure to be showing with him.

Also coming up on 2010:

I will have work in the "Fiber Biennial," at the Snyderman-Works Gallery in Philadelphia, PA from February 5 - March 26, 2010. I have always admired the artists in this show, and I am very excited to be a part of it this year! More info about what I'll be showing will be coming in the next few weeks.

From March 17 - April 17, 2010 I will be in another two-person show. "Walls and Webs," with Catherine Carter, will be on exhibit at the Narrows Center for the Arts, in Fall River, MA. This is an exhibit of mixed media works inspired by abstract lines and grids.

There are a few other art opportunities that are coming up that I will post more info about when I have more of the details.

My 2010 art goals:

To create new work in different sizes, including more pieces that are cut/construction fence-like, as well as work that is mounted on canvas or board. I want to play with different sizes, textures, and ideas, in hope of making work that is more sellable, but that does not stray from my vision.

Investigate more one and two person shows.

Keep posting my art news and thoughts here on my blog, as well as on my facebook page and on twitter (they're all connected), as well as sending out my monthly newsletter.

Send pictures of my 2009 work to the feds for copyright registrations (as soon as possible).

Clean and organize my studio (sooner than later).

Apply for art grants.

In the fall of 2010, design a 2011 12-month wall calendar, because I got a nice response after producing my 2010 calendar.

Investigate any new art related opportunities that come my way.

On top of what I did in 2009 and will do in 2010 art-wise, there's also working on freelance web design, continuing to look for part-time employment, volunteering in my community and much much more.

I wish you a happy, healthy, prosperous and creative 2010!

XXOO Jeanne