Monday, February 13, 2012

New Work in Process

I have hundreds of holes that are left over from my Fence As Lace Series and also from Fence/Curtain 1.0, and I'm using many in a new series.

Last year I experimented with two pieces that used the holes, 12 x 12 x 12 October 2012 and 12 x 12 x 12 December 2012. Now I'm working on 12 pieces that will incorporate the holes in various ways, with all of them having a 3 x 3 grid as the central theme in the design.

They are on 12" x 12" on board. Six have black on the board behind the holes and six have white, so there will be different amounts of contrast coming from behind, because the holes are semi-opaque. The picture above is of three unfinished pieces on black.

Before I last left the studio, I taped some oval holes on the more square-ish holes, to see if I want that to be my next step and yes, I do. I'll be working on this series over the next few weeks and look forward to seeing how they grow.