Sunday, December 2, 2007

Stitching and Felting


Well, I did it. Friday afternoon I got a coupon in the mail for 25% off anything at a local sewing store, so I bought a Pfaff 350P Needle Felting machine. I want to try mixing my printed/painted cotton with wool, to add texture and more dimension to my work.

Above is the sample I painted with the Golden Fluid Acylics, that I mentioned on November 27th. I cut it in half horizontally, rearranged it slightly, and did some stitching.

Below is the same fabric with wool "felted" into it. To create this, I played with the Pfaff for an hour or so last night, broke two needles (which I want to avoid doing since they're really expensive to replace), and ended up with this as my first experiment. I did some felting on the fabric, and then some more stitching with my sewing machine. There's definitely more texture happening, but you can't see it very well in the picture.


Most of my dreams last night were about using the Pfaff. You know when your brain is trying to process something when you're sleeping? It's not very restful sleep, but it's your brain working something out on it's own time.

I have no idea what I'm doing, or where I'll go with this process. I'll post more work again when I have more to share.