Saturday, December 1, 2007

Back at Home


After being away for just about four years, my "Rebekah" came home after traveling around the US in a show called Women of Biblical Proportion (WOBP). This show was about quilts created about the women of the bible, that were stitched by only women. It was organized by Ruth Harris and her daughter Chantelle Cory as a benefit for multiple sclerosis. There also organized a companion show Men of Biblical Proportion (WOBP), about men in the bible, that were only stitched by men.

My first choice was Esther, because I like her story in the tale of Purium because she was a good role model, and no one knew she was Jewish. But, because someone had already chosen her, and because I had just finished reading Anita Diamant's "The Red Tent", I chose Rebekah. I thought Rebekah was "interesting", and there are two Rebecca's in my family.

The inspiration for this piece was came from Genesis 26, "Rebekah came forth with her pitcher on her shoulder, and she went down unto the fountain, and drew."

By the way, "The Red Tent" is a wonderful book. It took me a little while to get in to it, but after a few pages, I was totally hooked, and I couldn't put it down.