Friday, February 15, 2013

12 x 12 x 12 February 2013



This month, for my February 12 x 12 x 12, I continued investigating intentional repair. My interest began when a friend brought the topic up at dinner a few months ago. That led to my thinking about how to create work inspired by my putting the parts of the whole back together again. For me, the whole is a monoprint of a construction fence.

Coincidently enough, right after I started thinking about, and working on repair, I saw the work of Nancy Selvage who is working in a really exciting way on the same theme with porcelain shards.

My January 12 x 12 x 12 was the first "sketch" for a new series I'm working on. My February is the second, and more successful “sketch.” My plan is to create 8 new very large pieces in this series, all on stiffened fabric.

The yellowy color in the photo is metallic gold paint. It doesn't show up well in the photo.

The 12 x 12 x 12 monthly series are mixed media on 12" x 12" x 1" board. You can read past posts about it here on my blog, or see all of the completed work on my website.