Thursday, November 13, 2008

2008 Weekly Mixed Media Project


This is the front side and back sides of my 46th Weekly Mixed Media piece this year. To be perfectly honest, I am not happy with the way it turned out.


I was gifted a wonderful package of scrap woven wool from Linda Frost, that she had from Ortega's Weaving Shop, in New Mexico. These pieces were left overs from making coats out of rugs. Linda sent these to me, to use for felting if I was interested. I was, but I think I didn't think the whole thing out as much as I should have.

Overlapping the red and blue weaves felted just fine. But, putting the black patterned woven material on top proved to be too thick, and guess what? I started breaking needles. Because of that, I stopped felting and sewed the unfelted parts. I distracted by these "new" materials, and wasn't paying as much attention to the design as I should have. When I noticed it wasn't working out as I thought, I didn't have any bright ideas about how to correct it. I tried washing and drying it, to see if it would felt in the dryer, but that didn't work. I guess if I spent more time on it, I could have saved it, but sometimes it's just better to call it a day, and move on to the next project.

Thank you Linda for thinking of me. It was very much appreciated. I will try using these woven goods again.


One silly thing..... the picture above is of this week's piece, in progress, but my camera freaked out. I actually like it better than the actual work. Oh well.

You can see my 2008 weekly mixed media work (so far) on my website, and read about it here on my blog.