Monday, August 18, 2008

12 x 12 x 12 August 2008


There's a HUGE concrete building being built in an office park in Newton Massachusetts. I've been watching it about once a week, for many months. Even if it is in the early stages of construction, it puzzles me that there are almost no windows (at least not on the on the street side of the building). I have no idea what will be in this building. The massive sections of concrete, and the very square openings for windows at each corner, inspired me to create this piece for my August 12 x 12 x 12.

After I painted the tan-ish color over the 1" (approximately) printed grid, I decided it was b-o-r-i-n-g, so I added a lot of stitching. The blue check "sky" area was way too bright, so I painted some of the tan over it after all of the stitching was complete, and the batting and back cotton shrunk, which made me to decide to wet the whole thing, so it would shrink more evenly. It was very rainy and humid the day I created it, so I had to dry it in the dryer. That is probably why there is so much more texture in this piece, compared to others.

If you want to know more about this series, you can read past posts about my 12 x 12 x 12 series here on my blog, or see all of the completed work on my website.