Tuesday, March 25, 2008

2008 Weekly Mixed Media Project


Above is my thirteenth Weekly Mixed Media piece this year, and below is the back.




On February 15th, I posted my seventh piece, about a building on Memorial Drive in Cambridge MA that was covered in white plastic, that had a yellow tube running down the side. I don't really like the piece I made then, because it didn't turn out the way I imagined. Last week, I was driving in Cambridge again, and saw the same building uncovered, I was grateful I was stopped at a red light, so I could quickly took this picture of it. I decided to use it this week for inspiration.


I cut a piece of brown pre-felted fleece, and placed it on top of a piece of brick-red wool felt fabric. On top of that, I placed a tan pice of pre-felted wool fleece vertically in the middle, with a thinner strip of yellow pre-felted wool and yellow organza-like ribbon, placed off-center and on top of the tan piece, and I needle punched them down from the top side.


Next, I needle punched a piece of red with a white border cotton fabric, from the top and then bottom sides.


I then cut three pieces of barely spun black wool and laid them horizontally under the already punched red/white cotton fabric, and then I needle punched them in place from the top side,


and cut away two rectangular pieces of brown fleece away, lining them up as best as I could under the red/white fabric piece.


I turned the whole thing over, and needle punched the back side everywhere EXCEPT where the tan and yellow sections were. By doing that, the front side turned a nice brownish-red because the felt and fleece were combined.


I placed my 6" square template on top of the piece, to help place two sets of black barely spun wool strips vertically on the right side.


Then I needle punched them in place from both the top and bottom sides.


I cut the whole thing down to 6" square, and proceeded to sew white and blue thread as highlights around different sections.

You can see my 2008 weekly mixed media work (so far) on my website, and read about my process/progress here on my blog.