Friday, January 4, 2008

2008 Weekly Mixed Media Project

I recently bought a needle felting machine, and have not had the time to play with it. Because of that, I've decided that I need to try using it on a regular basis, so from the January 1 through December 31, 2008, I plan on creating (at least) one 6" x 6" mixed media piece each week. I'm planning on combining felt with other mixed media techniques. I've collected various kinds of wool fabrics, fleece, and yarn, to experiment with.


Above is my first piece of the year. It's a combination of cotton quilt batting, wool fleece, yarn and two pieces of an old wool sweater I cut up. I felted it from both sides at least twice, and then I washed it in hot soapy water to shrink it a little, as well as remove the needle marks. Before I cut it to the 6" x 6" size, I stitched black lines on my sewing machine. Below is the back side of this piece.


I have to say that it was hard to get started on this first piece. I remember feeling the same way in 1999, when I started making a small quilt a week for the first time. Many ideas, but not sure where to start.

I set up a 2008 weekly mixed media page on my website, where I'll post the images. I'll also discuss my process and my progress here on my blog, on a regular basis. Hopefully every week.

I'm also continuing my 12 x 12 x 12 series this year too. Working on both projects, as well as large stitched monoprints of construction fences, is a lot to do but I think I can keep up with it.

When I made a small quilt a week for seven years, it led to a lot of artistic growth, and also it led to writing my book, The Uncommon Quilter. I have no idea where the weekly (and monthly) project/s will lead me, but I'm looking forward to a productive 2008.