Sunday, December 20, 2020

The Story of Three Kidney Donation Paintings

Here are three paintings, that cover two days short of two years, documenting my kidney donation journey.


On December 20, 2018 I applied to be a kidney donor, in exchange for a kidney for my son, who does not share my blood type. I was approved on July 23, 2019. All of my testing, emails and calls, talking to others, and waiting is reflected in my first painting, Dates in a Life: Kidney Donor Testing.


My second painting, Dates in a Life: Kidney Donation, documents finding a recipient for my kidney, a donor being found for my son and his receiving a new kidney in Seattle near the end of October 2019, many calls and emails to my medical team, talking to people who have received or donated a kidney, having my surgery in Seattle on December 17, 2019 and my recuperation in Seattle until December 27th, and then at home in Natick, MA through February 23rd when the second painting was finished.


I wasn't planning on making a third painting, but then decided I should to show how unremarkable it's been since I've recuperated. Dates in a Life: Kidney Donor Anniversary documents time from February 23, 2020 through December 18, 2020. It shows one medical test, a 6-month followup appointment with a member of my medical team, my son’s surgery anniversary, meeting his kidney donor, donating blood twice, the 45th anniversary of my father dying after his failed kidney transplant, my one-year donation anniversary, and just passing time as I continue with my life after I donated.