Wednesday, December 30, 2015

2015 Art in Review and What’s Coming Up in 2016


2015 was a good year for experimentation and growth in my art and it was also a good year for art related activities.

I continued to use monoprints of construction fences as the basis of my work. In 2015 I also incorporated acrylic skins of photos I took of ice and snow during the winter of 2014-2015. The biggest change was my use of color. It was not just a little color. It was lots of color, and it did not unnoticed by those around me. I received good feedback overall, and I sold more work than I have in previous years, which I very much appreciated.

The work below, grouped by series, is not in shown in any particular order of creation. I invite you to click on the links so you can see the work larger.


mixed media on cradled board
12” x 9” x 1.5"
2015

The Skating Marks on Ice on Fences series  incorporates photos of skating marks on pond ice with colorful textures of construction fences. The eleven paintings include a combination of monoprinting and painting, with acrylic skins of the photographs collaged on top.

Bubbles and Cracks on Ice on Fences
mixed media on cradled board
14" x 14" x 1" 
2015

The Bubbles and Cracks on Ice on Fences series incorporates photos of cracks and bubbles in pond ice with colorful textures of construction fences. The nine paintings include a combination of monoprinting and painting, with acrylic skins of the photographs collaged on top.


Street Ice on Fences
mixed media on cradled board
24" x 18" x 1.5" 
2015

The Street Ice on Fences series  incorporates photos of ice on the side of the road with colorful textures of construction fences. The five paintings include a combination of monoprinting, painting, handstamping, and stitching, with acrylic skins of the photographs collaged on top.

mixed media on cradled board
6" x 6" x .75"

2015

The Fragments from Ice on Fences series is a combination of monoprinted and painted textures of orange construction fences on cradled board.




Each month, I created one mixed media piece on 12" x 12" x 1" board. The nine years I've been doing this has been a wonderful opportunity for me to either experiment with an idea or technique I tried in previous work, or to try an idea or technique I might want to try. It's my monthly time to play, and I am planning on doing it again in 2016 for my tenth year.

Exhibits in 2015

Two-person show

All Boundaries are Imagined, Denise Driscoll and Jeanne Williamson, Fountain Street Fine Art, Framingham, MA

Invitational Shows
INTEGRATED PATTERNS: STRUCTURED ABSTRACTION, Alden B. Dow Museum of Science and Art of the Midland Center for the ArtsMidland, MI

The Liberated Quilt: New work by Through Our Hands, Bilston Craft Gallery, Bilston, West Midlands, UK

Juried Group Show

Community of Artists, Danforth Art, Framingham, MA

Licensed Image
A print of Seasonal Fence - Spring #3 continues to be for sale at Crate & Barrel, and I am very thankful for that. I am also thankful for the art licensing company I work with for arranging it, and for other opportunities as well.

Work sold

Technicolor Fence Patterns #2 has a new home! It's been purchased by a collector in Maryland.

Holes in the Fences #2 has been acquired by a different collector in Maryland, thanks to ArtfulHome.com!

Street Ice on Fences #5Fragments from Ice on Fences #2, and Fragments from Ice on Fences #7 sold to three different collectors during Open Studios at ArtSpace in Maynard, MA at the end of September 2015.

Fragments from Ice on Fences #1 was purchased as a gift for a new collector.

Thank you to everyone who now has my work in their collection!

Representation

I am still being represented by the Gravers Lane Gallery, which I am very pleased about.   

deCordova

The deCordova Museum of Art Corporate Art Loan Program in Lincoln, MA placed my work at Innosight LLC, in Lexington, Massachusetts, through October 2015.

Arts & Business Council of Greater Boston

Fence Patterned Chuppah #1 and Walls from Fences #1 - 4  are on exhibit at Lando & Anastasi in Cambridge, MA through June 2016, thanks to the Arts & Business Council of Greater Boston's Corporate Art Lending Program

Web Design

It was a good year for my web design business, Thread Media, Inc. I have new clients, and I continue to update the websites of those who I have been working with for many years.



Coming in 2016:


Fence/Curtain 2.1 will be on exhibit in Natural Threads 2016 at the Heritage Museums & Gardens in Sandwich, MA from May 30 - October 30, 2016. Fence/Curtain 2.0 was previously ion exhibit at the Boston Center for the Arts in 2012.

Electrical Box Paint Program, at the corner of Routes 135 and 27 in Natick, MA. I will have a different for me public art opportunity in the spring. I'll be painting two electrical boxes in Natick Center, which will be on exhibit by June 15, 2016 for many years to come. Sketches can be viewed at the top of the page here.

TV

My print at Crate & Barrel was scheduled to be on The Good Wife sometime. Since I don't watch the show (yet), I'm hoping someone will let me know if they see it.


Thank you very much for reading my post. I hope you have a happy, healthy and creative 2016!

- Jeanne