Sunday, March 9, 2014

New Work: 12 x 12 x 12 March 2014


As I was thinking of ideas for my March 12 x 12 x 12, I was debating whether I should give up working on my eight-year series because I'm just too busy to make something in March.

I wasn't short of ideas. I'm just short on time. My thinking about quitting led me to remember that when I made a small art quilt a week for seven years, I never gave up, and sometimes I made a piece in 30 minutes instead of many hours.

That led me to decide that I HAD to make something this month, so I went for quick instead of nothing.

My March 12 x 12 x 12 is created with a monoprint of a construction fence (unstitched due to time pressures), that has three layers of the leftover grids from the photos of acrylic "skins" I used for three of the Fence Photos Collage series, where I cut into the photos, and positioned them around the fence monoprints.

Why am I so busy you ask? One reason is because I'm preparing to start working on a series of Chuppahs  (Jewish wedding canopies), that I’ll be creating when I’m the Artist-in-Residence at the Hadassah-Brandeis Institute at Brandeis University from March 17 - April 11, 2014. I'm ask hoping (trying) to also create a series of photos of my grandfather’s Tallis (Jewish prayer shawl) that will be incorporated with stitched monoprints of fence patterns. This series will be a created to link the use of the Tallis with the Chuppahs.

The 12 x 12 x 12 monthly series is my monthly time to play with materials or an idea. I'm thankfully in to my eighth year working on this series. Each piece is mixed media on 12" x 12" x 1" board. You can read past posts about this series here on my blog, or see all of the completed work on my website.