Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Artist-in-Residence


On Monday, I started as the Artist-in-Residence at the Hadassah-Brandeis Institute in the Women’s Studies Research Centerat Brandeis University in Waltham, MA. I will be there weekdays from noon - 5pm through April 11th working on site in the Kniznick Gallery, where I'm creating a series of Jewish wedding canopies, or chuppot, to be displayed on campus and in the gallery during an exhibition entitled Under Color at the Kniznick Gallery from April 14 - May 22, 2014.


I started the first chuppah in my studio a few weeks ago, so I could get right to work when I approved on campus. That was a good decision, because there's been a delay in getting my work tables put together, but they will be tomorrow.

These are some pictures from my first two days, as I worked on the first chuppah. It's a modern take on the chuppah I made for my own wedding almost 32 years ago. I have to say that I have not been loving this first piece, but as I continued to work on it today, I think it's getting better. My plan is to finish it tomorrow, and hopefully I'll like the finished product.


The darker photos are of the printed side of the fabric, which is now the back side of the chuppah. I much prefer the lighter side, where I can see how the paint soaked through from the other side. Please note that these are detail shots and the work in unfinished.





The picture above is my temporary studio space in the gallery, before the table tops arrive. Below is a detail shot of various construction fences, a large fabric swatch, and some supplies.