Thursday, October 18, 2012

Fence/Curtain 2.0 in the Autumn


I de-installed Fence/Curtain 2.0, my temporary public art installation on October 15, 2012. It was on exhibit at the Boston Center for the Arts in a garden at the corner of Tremont and Clarendon Streets in Boston, MA from July 13th through October 14th.

When I installed Fence/Curtain 2.0 in July, I had a number of pictures taken for my portfolio. Before taking it down, I took quite a few more, so I have documentation of the piece in the fall, and also after it was out in the elements for three months.

An autumn view of the park, plaza and installation are shown above.


A close-up of the fence in Autumn


 Inside the garden, looking at the wrapped tree and the back of the fence in Autumn


Last but not least, one piece of the installation remains until the garden goes dormant during the winter. In July I attached a width of monoprinted and stiffened fabric to various sections of the wrought iron fence. Since then, a vine has grown around and through this one corner. I LOVE that, and the last thing I would do is disturb it, since it's really beautiful.

I'm really happy to say that there was no vandalism of my work while in the park, in the middle of such a busy part of Boston, and I am very grateful about that. I was especially concerned that the fabric wrapped around the big tree may have been stolen, and thankfully it was not. I did insert wire in it as a security measure, just in case. It took me over 16 hours to cut 1740 little holes out of the 10' piece of fabric, and if it was stolen I think I would have cried. Cutting the holes was incredibly boring, and it was painful for my hand, neck and back. I admit that it was pretty obsessive work, but well worth it in my opinion. The tree was my favorite part of the installation, and I look forward to doing more trees, if given the opportunity.

Summer and autumn pictures of Fence/Curtain 2.0 are on my website.