Sunday, June 12, 2011

Too Much Fun

I couldn't resist this back and forth with a scammer:

From: Howard Brown
Subject: Fence Detail #21 mixed media on cradled board 6" x 6" x .75" 2011

"Good day to you out there, My name is Howard Brown, I'm from South Well-fleet, MA. Need some artwork for an exhibition,We have being buying and collating different artwork samples from across the world. why surveying i came through your work, going through it, my eyes caught this particular work, i will like to have it this month.please let me know if the piece is available, if yes let me have the detailed price and more information about it. i will be waiting to read from you.Regards."



From: Jeanne Williamson

Subject: Re: Fence Detail #21 mixed media on cradled board 6" x 6" x .75" 2011


"Hello Howard,


Thank you for writing. Fence Detail #21 measures 6" x 6" x .75", is mixed media on cradled board, and costs $125.


Please let me know more about the exhibit.


Thanks, Jeanne"



From: Howard Brown

Subject: Artwork purchase


"Thanks for the message,am glad to know that the Artwork is still available for sale. Am very much interested in the immediate purchase and i am willing to pay the asking price .But i'll prefer it framed.I will like to let you know that your payment will be in a Certified Cashiers Check and i will wait till it clears in your bank before telling my shipper to come for the pick up, i assure you there will be no delay at all because the payment will be sent out immediately .You don't have to worry about shipment, my shipper will handle it.I am currently out of the country on a business trip, So get back to me with the information needed to send you the payment.

I:E :Full Name

Standard Mailing Address

Phone numbers

Consider it sold and pls get back to me with the details asap.I await your reply.Thanks.Yours sincerely."



From: Jeanne Williamson

Subject: Re: Artwork purchase


"Howard,


The piece is sold as is. You can frame it after it's in your possession. I will accept cash only, plus Massachusetts sales tax since your gallery is in South Well-fleet, MA and I am also in MA. There is no need for a shipper to be arranged. Please give me your address in South Well-fleet, MA and I will be glad to deliver it in person since your gallery is so close to my house, you are so kind to offer to buy my work. Please send me your address and phone number, and the name of your gallery, and I will drive it to you tomorrow.


I am really looking forward to meeting you.


Jeanne"



Surprise, surprise. I didn't hear back from Mr. Brown, so I unfortunately didn't have a good reason to drive to Cape Cod this weekend, to go to South Well-fleet, which is really (South) Wellfleet MA, which if he would have known if he really had a gallery there.

I never got to deliver my work to a scammer claiming to be from Dallas in 2009 either, but it was fun then too.

Be careful about scammers everyone. Some scams are posted on the Stop Art Scams blog, if you ever want to investigate a questionable email.