Friday, June 24, 2011

Another Art Scam

I got another art scam email last week, much different than from the scam a few weeks ago. I followed up with it just in case it was real, even though I was 99% sure it wasn't. If you read the exchange, you'll see that it quickly changed to the usual.


At the same time, an art friend of mine got a totally legitimate inquiry, that at first sounded a bit off, that has led to an upper four figure sale of her work, so I think it is sometimes worth a careful short follow up if there aren't too many red flags.


There were a lot of emails back and forth, so I've reduced the type size so it doesn't completely take over my blog.


I'm posting this because I'm still hearing about artists who are falling for scams, and I'm hoping this will help educate people about it.



From: Etherington Parton

Subject: INQUIRY


Hello,


I'm Etherington Parton and I'll like to order some items from your gallery/store but before we proceed I'll like to ask the following questions.


Do you ship to Australia?

Do you do E-Mail Order?

Do you accept credit card as for Payment (US Master and Visa card to be precise)? NOT PAYPAL


I await your urgent response so we can proceed.


Etherington



To: Etherington Parton

Subject: Re: INQUIRY


Hi Etherington,


Thank you for writing. Depending on the size of the work you would like to buy, I can ship it to Australia. You can let me know via email what you would like to purchase. I take Mastercard, Visa and American Express, but I do prefer to use paypal when possible.


Please let me know what work is of interest to you.


Jeanne



From: Etherington Parton - Owner

Subject: QUOTE NEEDED.


Jeanne,


Thanks for waiting to read from me.


Below are the items needed:


Patterns in Fences #7

mixed media on cradled board

10" x 10" x 1.5"

2010

Qty - 1


Fall Fence Landscape (panel 4)

mixed media on cradled board

12" x 6' x .75"

(12" x 12" x .75" each panel)

2011

Qty - 1


Patterns in Fences #12

mixed media on cradled board

10" x 10" x 1.5"

2010

Qty - 1


I will like you to get back to me with the total cost plus shipping cost and here is my shipping address for you to calculate the shipping cost via UPS, Fedex or DHL or any other alternative shipping company.


Please kindly get back to me if these items are in stock.


Shipping Address:

50A Marshall St,

Surry Hills NSW 2010

Australia.


Waiting to read from you soon.


Warmly Regards


Etherington



From: Jeanne Williamson

Subject: Re: QUOTE NEEDED.


Hi Etherington,


My pleasure talking to you.


Fall Fence Landscape #4 is only available as a group of six, with numbers 1, 2, 3, 5 and 6, displayed all in a row as shown at the top of the page on my website. They are not individual pieces. If you are interested in all six, please let me know.


All of the Patterns in Fences are available on Artful Home's website : http://www.artfulhome.com/artist/Jeanne-Williamson/3691


They became available there earlier in the week. If you would like to buy them, I ask you to please go through their site and they will calculate the shipping. I have an agreement with them, and hope you understand why I am referring you to them.


If you have any questions, or would like more information, please let me know.


All my best, Jeanne



From: Etherington Parton - Owner

Subject: Re: QUOTE NEEDED.


Jeanne,


Thanks for your swift response.


Yes, am interested in ordering all the six of Fall Fence Landscape #4 and I can only place my order through email and with you. I'm not safe placing my order online.


Let me know if this works out.


Etherington



From: Jeanne Williamson

Subject: Re: QUOTE NEEDED.


Hi again Etherington,


The Fall Fence Landscape series #1-6 is $4200, plus an estimate of $500 shipping, all in US dollars.


I do want to assure you that ArtFul Home is a very honest and trustworthy company that has been around for a long time on the internet. You can trust them completely. In fact, since you don't know me at all, I would have thought that you'd feel safer ordering from them and not me.


Take care, Jeanne



From: Etherington Parton - Owner

Subject: Items Cost Only.


Jeanne,


Thanks for your swift response and I promise to contact them for the patterns but let proceed with the Fall Fence Landscape series #1-6.


I want you to calculate the total cost of Fall Fence Landscape series #1-6 ONLY and don't worry about the shipping because I just got a response from my personal logistic agent in US that will come for the pick up of the items at your address and it will only take 2-3days Express Shipping to my shipping address and I've inform them about this and they told me the best way to come for the pick up in your store is for you to email me with your store address and the time the items will be ready for pick up with your convenience time & date.


So please kindly get back to me with this details for pick up, so that I can email you my credit card details to charge the payment now.


Waiting to read from you soon.


Warmly Regards


Etherington



From: Jeanne Williamson

Subject: Re: Items Cost Only.


Hi Etherington,


The total cost of Fall Fences #1-6 is $4200, without shipping, as I stated below.


I just looked at the guidelines for my credit card company and found out that I can only accept charges of up to $1000 a month, so if you do purchase these pieces, it will have to go through my paypal account since I don't have a limit. I apologize for my not researching this sooner in our conversation. If paypal is not desired, I do accept cash, which I really prefer.


Jeanne



I did not hear back from him, so the next day I sent ...



From: Jeanne Williamson

Subject: Re: Items Cost Only.


Hi Etherington,


Are you still interested in buying my work? Please let me know ASAP because I may have someone else who is interested.


Thanks, Jeanne



From: Etherington Parton - Owner

Subject: Items Cost Only.


Jeanne,


Right now I can only email you my credit card details for process. I'm not safe using PayPal.


Let me know if this works so that we can proceed.


Regards


Etherington



From: Jeanne Williamson

Subject: Re: Items Cost Only.


Hi Etherington,


I am not safe processing your credit card, so if you can't use paypal or buy my work through ArtFul Home, then this transaction will not be happening.


Take care, Jeanne