Tuesday, May 24, 2011

New Work - The Fence As Lace

The Fence As Lace #1
mixed media on stiffened fabric
48" x 66"

The Fence As Lace #2
mixed media on stiffened fabric
48" x 60"

The Fence As Lace #3
mixed media on stiffened fabric
69.5" x 48"

The Fence As Lace #4
mixed media on stiffened fabric
49" x 113"

The Fence As Lace #5
mixed media on stiffened fabric
49" x 104"

The Fence As Lace #6
mixed media on stiffened fabric
72" x 73"

The Fence As Lace #7
mixed media on stiffened fabric
48" x 103" before wrapped around a column (shown above)
57.5" x 48" hanging on the wall (shown below)


The Fence As Lace #8
mixed media on stiffened fabric
48" x 100" before wrapped around a column (shown above)
48" x 100" hanging on the wall (shown below)


The Fence As Lace #9
mixed media on stiffened fabric
48" x 44"

The Fence As Lace #10
mixed media on stiffened fabric
18" x 48"

I recently returned from two weeks at the Vermont Studio Center, in Johnson, VT. While there, I took advantage of having a large studio space compared to what I have at home, and also as much of my time awake to work on my art as I wanted. That led me to creating ten new very large pieces which explore the construction fence as a piece of lace, even though it's really an industrial material.

Here is my first draft of an artist statement about the work:

The Fence As Lace Series explores the lace-like qualities of construction fences. They are monoprinted, handstamped, handpainted, and sometimes stitched, fabric that is stiffened to provide a construction fence-like feel when touching it.

Holes are cut out of various areas of the stiffened fabric on many of these pieces, so shadows and pattern can be seen behind it, and can be exhibited right on the wall or a few inches away from it.

Some pieces can be exhibited as installations where viewers can walk around them, and some can be exhibited either on the wall or as an installation.

Please visit my website for more info about these pieces, and also for detail shots.

I will be reshooting all of these images ASAP because a good photographer I am not. After I do, I'll update my website, and I'll also repost them here on this blog.