Thursday, June 25, 2009

Organizing and Working on Sweaters


Do to different commitments and other reasons, I hadn't been repurposing, recycling, reconstructing, upcycling, redesigning, tweaking the used sweaters I've accumulated. I really needed to get my act in gear, and I realized that the piles of sweaters thrown in piles of plastic bags wasn't helping me get motivated.

Yesterday I took all of the sweaters out of the bags, folded them neatly and placed them in piles by size, and then put them in paper bags marked by size, so I can easily see what I have. My studio space is teeny tiny, and organization is key to being able to move around, find materials, and get work done. I should (need to) be able (motivated) to get to work now. Right after I got them organized, I got to work on two sweaters so I think this organization plan has helped.


FYI, these are the sizes of sweaters I've tweaked so far. (Please note that theses are the sizes on the labels, but some of the sizes are questionable):

XSM
SM - II
PM - I
M - III
34 - I
L - II
XL
XXL
22/24 - I
2X - I

And these are waiting to be tweaked:

XSM - III
SM - IIIII IIIII III
M - IIIII IIIII II
L - IIIII IIII
XL - I

When I picked out sweaters at the used clothing stores, I did it randomly by color and sweater design. I didn't pay attention to size. I think I'm going to need to get more XL, XXL and 22/24 sweaters, but I think I should work on what I have first, and then get more after that.

Colder Fall weather will be here before I know it, as will Natick Artists Open Studios, which is October 17 & 18, 2009, and a few other venues I hope to sell the sweaters at! Gotta get sewing!