Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Movie: The Cool School


I saw the movie, "The Cool School," thanks to Netflix's "Watch Instantly", which is finally available on my Mac. I like to watch art movies when I have some down time.

The movie was about how Walter Hopps and artist Ed Kienholz started the Ferus Gallery in Los Angeles in the late 1950's, and how the LA art movement grew in to the early 1960's. There was footage +/or interviews with LA artists Ed Kienholz, Ed Ruscha, Craig Kauffman, Wallace Berman, Ed Moses and Robert Irwin, and others. There were also comparisons to the New York's art scene during the same time period.

I know it was the times, but it was bothersome that there was only one woman artist mentioned, and all of the other women in the documentary were collectors with their husbands.