Monday, March 16, 2009

Facebook/Art


Many years ago, when FaceBook was only open to those with a .edu email address I felt left out, because I wanted to check it out. When they opened it up to anyone who wanted to join, I jumped on it.

There's a young man in my family who didn't understand why I'd be interested. At the time, I explained I wanted to catch up with my high school and college friends who I had lost touch with. The article, "About face, Parents all over Facebook" by Bella English on February 2, 2009 in the Boston Globe, sums it up.

Now, FaceBook has another function in my life, that I appreciate as much, or probably, more than catching up with old friends. It's become a place for artists to network. I started to notice this many months ago, and was very glad to read this article which explains it perfectly:

"The Art World on Facebook: A Primer" by Sharon L. Butler on the Brooklyn Rail.

I really enjoy it when my artists "friends" post new work, show announcements, Opening invitations, and etc,. It's a great way to share with people from all over the world. The networking is GREAT!

Taking it a step further, artist Rachel Perry Welty did a performance piece, on FaceBook on Wednesday March 11th. She posted a status update every one - two minutes, from when she woke up until she went to bed. Friends of hers could respond to her status, which made it more interactive. I felt like a peeping tom, as I checked in on her during the day, but I thought it was brilliant! She said she printed out screen captures of her day, so I can't wait to see what she does with them.