Saturday, July 19, 2008

2008 Weekly Mixed Media Project


This is my 29th Weekly Mixed Media piece this year. Below is the back side of the same piece. It's a combination of felt scraps and left over strips from stitched mixed media projects.




To create this piece, I chose four pieces of leftover felt from previous projects.


I decided not to use my needle punch/felting machine at all this week, but instead I' simply sew the pieces of felt together, even if some parts are not totally felted.


The I chose seven think strips that were leftover from trimming down some new work I have created, that I will post about shortly.


One by one, I zigzagged stitched the thin strips to the felt, using my sewing machine. This shows one strip sewn.


And this shows two strips. You should be able to get the idea.


Here are all seven strips sewn down.


And this is the back side of the piece,a s shown above that.

Next, I cropped it down to 6" square, by tracing a template, and simply cutting it to size. No need to finish any edges.

You can see my 2008 weekly mixed media work (so far) on my website, and read about my process/progress here on my blog.