Tuesday, June 24, 2008

12 x 12 x 12 June 2008


This is my June 12 x 12 x 12 series piece.


I was inspired by a photo my friend Adria Arch sent me, of a building project near Fenway Park in Boston. I used this same building as inspiration for my December 2007 12 x 12 x 12, when the building was at an earlier stage of construction.


Even though I was using a much bigger printed grid than I really should have for a 12" x 12" finished size, I followed the picture as best as I could, as I painted the main sections of the building. Above is the front side of the fabric...


... and this is the back side. Thought I'd show this since it's SO different.

After painting it, I was really unhappy with the result. It felt really clunky and boring.


Not knowing how to save it, I decided to stitch it anyway, because maybe something would become apparent about how to fix it. I felt a little better after stitching the grid, though I still wasn't thrilled.

I did a lot more stitching, and added more paint, before I was feeling better about it.

The grid I printed of the orange construction fence is a bit warped, so it did present a bit of a challenge when I was deciding how to crop and cut this piece to it's 12" square size.

June has been an incredibly busy month. As I was working on this piece, I had to remind myself not give up or get too frustrated, because I've busy and distracted. I kept playing with what I was working on, and it did, at some point, start to work.

If you want to know more about this series, you can read past posts about my 12 x 12 x 12 series here on my blog, or see all of the completed work on my website.