Thursday, December 27, 2007

Orange Construction Fences Series created in 2007

One of the series I worked on this year, was a continuation of my "Orange Construction Series". I was fortunate enough to be able to create 11 large pieces, #46 - #56. Though I don't love every piece I created, I feel I had good growth, took some risks, and tried some new techniques and ideas.

For many years, I have liked the back side of the fabrics I paint and print, but have been to afraid to use them as the actual piece itself. The colors are more muted on the back, and layers of fabric paint on top of other layers sometimes have a batik-like look to them. When I started painting pieces #46 - #51, which are two mini series in a series, I had the full intention of having three of these pieces present with the painted side of the fabric out, and the three with the back side facing out. As I prepared to stitch them, I did question my intentions, but didn't back down. Trying that was the biggest (art) risk I took this year, and I am most proud of doing it. It has changed the way I think about painting on fabric, and I really like the different results I am achieving.