Friday, October 26, 2007

Art with Fiber - on exhibit at the Museum of Fine Arts in Houston

I ran around Houston Texas today with a friend, since the International Quilt Market isn't opening until tomorrow October 27th. One stop was the Ornament as Art: Avant-Garde Jewelry from the Helen Williams Drutt Collection, on view at the Museum of Fine Arts in Houston through January 21, 2008.

I took a class taught by Helen Drutt when I was in studying "fibers" at the Philadelphia College of Art (now the University of the Arts) in the late 1970's. I remember some of the jewelry in this show from her class, and when I briefly worked for her in her gallery.

This show highlights more than just gold and silver jewelry. I was very excited to see jewelry created with paper, cut books, sticks, fabric, and more. If you are in Houston with a little extra time, I highly recommend this show.