Tuesday, September 24, 2019

New Work: Dates in a Life (Walking) Project 2016


The Dates in a Life Project 2016 painting was created in 2019. It documents the number of steps I walked each day, using data in the Health app on my iPhone.

I prefer to walk for exercise, as time permits, outside in addition to whatever other walking I do as I go about my day. My goal is to walk as much as I can every day. 

I use a system of symbols to represent each thousand steps. Instead of showing exactly how many I walk. The black icons represent up to 9999 steps walked each day, red represents 10,000-19,999 steps and yellow represents 20,000-29,999 steps.

For this 2016 painting, the lines under each day represent the number of floors I climbed by tens. Turquoise is for 1-10 floors, Green is for 11-20, Indian Yellow is for 21-30 and Red is for 31+ floors. There were two days when the Health app didn’t register any floors. They are underlined with white.


The pencil lines in the boxes with the symbols represent the exact number of stairs 0-9 that go along with the colored underline. As an example, 9 floors is 9 lines with Turquoise, 19 floors is 9 lines with Green, 29 floors is 9 lines with Indian Yellow.
The solid white squares highlight Saturdays and Sundays in columns.
The 32.5" x 43.25" painting is created with monoprinted textures of a construction fence as the background, handstamped rubber erasers on fabric which are collaged on the background grid, as well as handpainting, drawing, and stitching on stiffened fabric.