Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Outdoor Installation - Fence/Curtain 1.0

These are some pictures of my completed installation, entitled Fence/Curtain 1.0, which is at the ConstellationCenter site in Cambridge, MA. It's located on Kendall Street, which is off of 3rd and Anthenaeum Streets, in Kendall Square. The whole piece measures 35' long x 48" high (plus the draped fabric), and is attached to a 6' chain link fence. It's on exhibit at the site until May 31, 2012.

I have more pictures which I will post here on my blog and also my website hopefully tomorrow. I have to get them off of my camera, and edit duplicates. I especially want to show details. I'm also hoping to hire a professional photographer to take pictures, and if I do, I'll post them too. And, I plan on taking pictures of the piece after it snows this winter, and will post them also.

Yesterday, when installing the piece, the weather was just about perfect and I am very thankful for that. A few days ago there was a forecast for rain almost all week, so a warm, but not overly warm day was a gift.

When ordering supplies for the installation, I totally over estimated how many cable ties I was going to need, and I only overbought 9500 of them. I think we used close to 500 in total, so now I can create 19 more large installations before I need to reorder more cable ties. :)

Many many thanks to Julia Berkley for her help in installing this piece! Besides being a helping hand, our conversation helped keep everything calm and helped make the day more interesting. Plus, I got to bounce ideas and concerns off of her and get her feedback, which was very helpful.