Monday, July 18, 2011

Storefront Installation


Inspired by a wonderful storefront installation that fellow artist and friend Adria Arch did, called Summer Constellation, and because there will be an ArtWalk in Natick, MA this Thursday, I asked the owner of Debsan, a paint and decorating store located at 25 Main Street (down the street from my studio), if I could do an installation in one of the front windows.


In a very short timeframe, I used three pieces that I created during my art residency at the Vermont Studio Center in May, as well as one of the first stiffened fabric pieces I made last year, and I created this installation. The picture below shows the installation from the side window.


What I learned is that it's really hard to decorate (or install) a window because you have to think about what it looks like from the sidewalk and street, from many angles and with different amounts of glare, depending on the time of day and the weather.


It's also very hot inside those windows in the summertime. And, it's even harder to photograph the window because of the glare and because of street and sidewalk traffic.


All in all, I definitely want to more installations, but with more time to create and plan. See more about the installations I've created.


Below is a picture of what the window looked like before I did my installation.