Sunday, January 31, 2010

Movie - Glass: A Portrait of Philip in Twelve Parts


I am very interested in creativity, mainly in visual art, but in other art forms too. I also really enjoy hearing people's personal story. That's why I watched the movie "Glass: A Portrait of Philip in Twelve Parts" last night.

As an artist, I was interested in learning more about Philip Glass's creative thinking and his process. Since this is an art blog, I'll just discuss how I related to this move as an artist.

Not only does this movie personalize Glass by showing him as a musician who is also a father, husband, friend, spiritual person, and more, but the viewer also gets to watch and listen during his creative time, as he marks notes on the page, listens to his work being performed, performs it himself, and works with various conductors and movie directors. It's really interesting.

I didn't know that Philip Glass is friends with Chuck Close, but he is, and there was a very sweet part of the movie when they talked about how they met and got started working in their art forms, and how their careers grew over time. It was also nice to see close-ups of Close's art on the screen. Here's one image, but there were many, many more.

The photography and film editing was really well thought out, with moments of very beautiful angles and shots.

If you don't like documentaries, this movie is not for you. If you like Philip Glass or like documentaries, then I highly suggest this movie.

Available on Netflix Watch It Now.