Monday, April 14, 2008

12 x 12 x 12 April 2008


It was a bit of a struggle, but I completed my 12 x 12 x 12 piece for April. I was inspired by the photo below, that my mother-in-law took on a recent trip to the UK. I had already created a 6" x 6" weekly mixed media piece about this photo last week, but I wanted to created a larger (12" square) printed/painted/stitched piece on the same idea.



Since I don't own any blue transparent fabric, I used purple silk organza as a substitute for the blue building wrap. After printing and painting, and then stitching a ton of wavy lines following cuts and sags in the purple fabric, it was a bit boring and VERY purple. What to do? After a week of considering many ideas, I finally decided to add a black printed piece of an orange construction fence on silk organza, instead of stitching the lines of the bracing/wood that can be seen behind the blue in the photo. Much improved, though not one of my favorites.

If you want to know more about this series, you can read past posts about my 12 x 12 x 12 series here on my blog, or see all of the completed work on my website.