Sunday, March 11, 2007

Art with Fiber - on exhibit at the ICA-Boston

When I visit a musum or gallery, I am always excited to see artwork that has fiber incorporated as a main element. Here is what was on exhibit today at the Institute of Contemporary Art in Boston:

Sigmar Polke - "I Live in My Own World, But It's OK, They Know Me Here", 2002, mixed media on fabric. Online image can be seen at: tate.org.uk/modern/exhibitions/polke.

Mona Hatoum - "Pom Pom City", 2002, natural wool. Online image can be seen at: icaboston.org/exhibitions/permanent-collection/artists/hatoum.

Kai Althoff - "Untitled", 2004, gloss paint on fabric. Online image can be seen at: "icaboston.org/exhibitions/permanent-collection/artists/althoff.

Rachel Perry Welty - "Two Page Spread", 2006, twist ties. More about her work can be seen at: RachelPerryWelty.com.

Also, as a fiber artist, I really related to an ink and acrylic on painting on canvas by Julie Mehretu. More about her at: Julie Mehretu.